Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Battle of Anghiari - My painting

After thorough  inspiration from the cartoon of the Battle of Anghiari. I took it upon myself to paint of scene from the familiar battle of Custers Last Stand or the Battle of the Little Bighorn. You can see the reference I made in the central theme of the painting where the one horse rears over the fallen horse in a circular composition. I contemplated entwining the horses but chose not to complicate that part of the scene. Instead, I made of heap of figures and mass of fighting Native Americans. The painting is oil on canvas and 30"x48". You can also see some other influences from paintings that I implemented into the scene.

Battle of Anghiari by Leonardo

Custers Last Stand  by James Corwin

Battle of the Ticino by Unknown

Horse Study by Leonardo




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting! And I am sorry that I neglected to tell you how I enjoyed viewing your piece in the SUB show. Catches the Anghiari spirit and great roiling smoky atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete