Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Raphael references Leonardo

I found something interesting while viewing the images in my reading. This reference is not mentioned in my reading but I have taken it upon myself to share this new discovery... I am sure it has already been discovered but I was still excited to find something the other did not mention.

The painting Madonna of Foligno by Raphael depicts a man pointing to the heavens and holding a cross. When I saw this man I instantly thought of Leonardo's St. John the Baptist. Raphael is noted for gathering inspiration from Leonardo and referencing him frequently in his paintings. Take a look at the 2 images and let me know what you think!


Madonna of Foligno by Raphael

St. John the Baptist by Leonardo

1 comment:

  1. I believe you have found something. But Raphael uses the traditional "wilderness saint" form for the Baptist, making in contrast the unique imagery of Leonardo seem all the more eery. Creepy even

    ReplyDelete